Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pride, With A Dash Of Jealousy

This weekend a really good friend of mine graduated from college.  I'm so overcome with pride for him!  He spent the last 6 years working 2 part time jobs (bordering on full time jobs), while acquiring two really difficult degrees, Chemistry and Forensic.  I always joked that he was a genius, but secretly, I really do think he is.
Although I didn't make it to the actually graduation, I was able to make it to his graduation party to celebrate.  It ended up being at his parents house, which was great!  I always enjoy seeing his parents, they are definitely the most entertaining parents I know, but most of all they are just really great, loving and supporting, even to me.
It was really great to celebrate with my friend.  He definitely deserves the degrees he just earned.

"The Grad," his girlfriend and I

As happy as I am for him, I can't help but feel a pang of jealousy as one more friend graduates before me.  A few years ago, I made the decision to take a year off.  It was the best decision I ever made.  It gave me a year to work full time and enjoy life without school.  It also gave me an advantage when I finally decided to go back, it gave me motivation!  I did excellent my first semester back, and I even landed a great "career" at the end of the semester.  This new job pays great, has both great and fun benefit and the job is just fun in general.  But, I can't lie, there are weeks that I work a lot of hours and because business can be so spontaneous, I can only take two classes a semester at the most, which has significantly slowed me down.  Ideally, I could graduate December 2013, but because the class schedule is starting to get difficult to work with, I'm starting to only be able to take one class a semester, which is really losing me time.
I have to remind myself that this is the decision I made and that i need to follow through as positive as I can.  Other times, I'm reminded of the conversation I had with my F&B director, stating that I don't really need a degree to work in Hospitality.  I know he's right, but it's still important to me to get that degree.  It could possibly save my life in the possible event that I decide I'm through with Hospitality, because as I get older, that just might happen.
I know I'm on the right path, I have a great life with a great man, two beautiful dogs and a great job.  I just wish I could be done with school and enjoy my evenings to something other than studying.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there - nothing good comes without hard work

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I just wish I could be done!

    ReplyDelete