Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pride doesn't even begin to describe it!

Today I did something really cool for myself.  I ran the 5 mile Cherry Creek Sneak!  This year was their 30th year doing it with huge success!  About 10,000 runners come out every year to run the, 1.5 mile, 5k, and the 5 mile.   This year, they even added a 10 miles, that's right, I said 10 miles, not 10k!  A friend of mine actually ran the 10 mile!  I was so impressed!  That's double what I did today!
One of my goals this summer is to participate in more races.  Not only does it benefit my health, but the money raised goes to some really great causes!  About a month ago I actually ran a 5k trail run.  It was my first one ever!  I hated every second of it!  It didn't help that I didn't know it was a trail run, it didn't help that the first mile was a steady uphill up a mountain, and it didn't help that the trail was so thin that I had to stop and pull over every time someone tried to pass me.  When I got done with my 3 miles my time was 55 minutes... that averages out to more than 18 minute miles... pretty slow...  So I took the last few week to practice some more and today, I'm proud to report that I brought it down to an average of 14 minute miles!  It's still fairly slow, but considering where I was 3 weeks ago, I'm proud!

When we arrived to Cherry Creek we quickly got registered up and then warmed up for the run (and took pictures)!
I started the race off pretty strong, in fact I was almost able to run the whole first mile.  Once I took a break and walked my calves were screaming!  But by a mile and a half I was all warmed up and was able to keep pushing strong.


One of the things I loved about this race were some of the costumes!  During my run, I saw a turtle, 2 men in gorilla costumes wearing a bra and thong, and of course Forrest Gump!  Well, 2 Forrest Gumps to be exact.  I was actually able to keep up with them for a little while and I even talked to them about how great they looked!

A little fuzzy, but you can barely make out the wig, beard, and running shorts!
Once I finally passed the finish line, I met up with my much faster girlfriends and we went in search for beer.  After all, beer is one of the main attractions of these races, I kid, I kid!  There I was able to meet up with the friend that ran the 10 mile.  We talked about how great the race was, which costumes were our favorite, and of course the "Run for Free Beer Sign" halfway through the race to keep us going!  And then of course we talked about how great this new hobby of ours is!

Me in my new shirt!  Because, you have to show off that you did it!

Yes, this is now on my fridge with the last one :-)


I can't wait until the next run!  This is definitely going to be my summer!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! This is one of the Forrest Gumps. . ha. ..I remember talking to you.. thanks for stopping by and complementing us. Congrats on the race! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! I told everyone about you and how great of a costume it was! I hope to run into you at another race sometime!

    ReplyDelete