Thursday, October 25, 2012

"Becoming van Gogh" Experience

Today, I got to go see the "Becoming van Gogh" exhibit at the Denver Art Museum.  I truly believe it was a once in a lifetime experience because once the exhibit ends, all the artwork goes back to the owners.  They will most likely never been seen by the public again.

To start the day, my mom and I went and had lunch at Palettes.  It was a fairly expensive and fancy restaurant located in the art museum.  A lot of my co-workers recommended it, and let me say they were completely right.  The food was amazing!





They even had a custom menu in honor of the van Gogh exhibit.  Although, we ended up not ordering off of it.
 While we sat and ate, I couldn't help but love the art around me.  It reminded me of Alice and Wonderland with so many beautiful colors.


"Attack, Attack" yelled one boy





Once we finished lunch, we had some time before we could go into the exhibit, so we walked around the rest of the museum.  There, we found an interactive art that you controlled by pushing certain buttons.  I honestly don't know how to explain it, you really do have to go see it for yourself.  But it was a lot of fun!

When it was finally time, we got in line to get in.  Because my mom is a member, we were able to skip the line and get in before everyone else.  It's so good to be VIP, just kidding!
Very crowded at times!
Going through the exhibit was very interesting.  To start, they had items in order from the start of his career to the end of his career.  Surprisingly, he started off his career hating color.  He liked to use dark bold colors in his art.  As he evolved and moved to Paris he began to experiment with more colors and even took on more of an impressionist type style. 
As I walked around, I was amazed at how utterly beautiful some of his later pieces were.  They were filled with such color that it actually looked as if a black light had been shining on it to help bring out the colors.  Seeing the art in person and seeing it online in pictures is completely different. 
One of my favorite pieces was his "Grass and Butterflies."  The colors were amazing, and although I couldn't actually take a picture of it myself, for fear of being kicked out, I was able to find one online, but again.  The picture doesn't do the colors justice.
"Grass and Butterflies" by van Gogh
The tale of his life was interesting, although they never mentioned his little incident with his ear.  He was an artist for only 10 years of his life.  Surprisingly he managed do more art in those 10 years, than most artists do in their whole life.  At the end, they told us that at age 37, he was accidentally shot and later died in the arms of his brother. 

I only had one complaint, I didn't get to see my favorite piece.

Despite not getting to see "The starry night" I still had a great time.  I remember being in 6th grade and trying to replicate his work.  Although I don't love art like I used to, this was a great experience and one I won't likely forget anytime soon.

Do you plan on going before its gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment