Monday, May 14, 2012

Wishing For a Seedy Recovery!

Today, I temporarily lost my running partner.  Mila just hit 5 months old, which meant it was time for her to be spayed.  For Miles, I waited until he was a little more than 6 months old to have him neutered, but a spay is a lot more invasive and I wanted Mila to be younger so that it would not only be less dramatic, but she should also heal much faster than if I were to do it later. 
First, let me say that having a puppy is expensive.  Not only do you have to pay for them, but you have to buy food, pay for vaccinations, and of course, be responsible enough to have them spayed of neutered if you never plan to breed them.  It all adds up!  I was fortunate enough to have a couple coworkers tell me about Banfield Pet Hospital at Petsmart.  They both raved about how great they have been with their dogs.  Not only are they great, but they offer some amazing Wellness Plans that helps making paying for all of this much easier.  Their puppy wellness plan includes the spay for free, saving me so much money!  Plus, they do all of the same pre-op tests that expensive pet hospitals do! 
Banfield has been so great with both of my dogs.  They got both of my babies up to date on all of their shots, they were very communicative of all of the test they have done during their preventative care, and even call the day after each visit to make sure my dogs have no reaction to their vaccinations.  So it was no wonder they were great on such an emotional day.
I started my day by waking up at 6am, even though I didn't have to drop Mila off until 7:15am.  I just wanted the morning with her before having a different personality for a few days.  Once it was time, we drove over to Petsmart.  The staff was so great, they gave me a few more minutes to say goodbye before giving me the rundown on when they would do the procedure and when I could come get her.
Once I got home, Miles didn't quite understand why Mila wasn't right behind me.  Coming through the front door, he kept looking behind me.  Once he realized she wasn't there he kept sniffing me, as if my scent would tell him where I took her.  Since I had woken up so early, and since I had taken the day off from work, I went back to sleep for an hour.  When Miles and I woke up from our nap, he still seemed worried about Mila.  He had such a sad look on his face and I swear he hiccuped a few times like he had been crying.
To keep my mind off of Mila not being home, I cleaned almost every inch of the house.  Once I had just about finished, I received a call saying that Mila had done great on her surgery and that she was just starting to wake up.
As soon as I was able I headed back to petsmart to pick her up!  When she came out, she was able to walk but she didn't seem to completely know who I was, probably because of all of the pain meds.  Once I got her in the car, I slowly drove home.  John was outside to greet me and help me get her inside. 
It broke my heart to watch her try to get up the one step to our front door, it broke my heart even more watching her try to get down the four steps to the backdoor to try to get outside.  But once potty time was over we got her situated in her crate where I had placed an extra blanket for comfort.

You can see her little bandage on  her arm

I can't wait for my little girl to get all healed up.  As much as her craziness can drive me crazy, I already miss her running around non-stop.  I can't wait to get my running partner back, here's to a speedy recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment