Friday, October 26, 2012

Roasting Those Seeds!

Truth be told, I don't love carving pumpkins.  I don't enjoy getting my hands dirty and cutting out shapes hurt my hands, which I think might have arthritis.  However, I love the aftermath of having carved pumpkins that light up my front porch.  I love even more the seeds that you can roast when your done!
My parents were never that into Halloween and many times we would only carve one pumpkin, and very quickly because I suspect that my parents didn't like doing it either.  So it's fair to say that roasting pumpkin seeds was not something that happened in my household.  In fact, the first time I got to try roasted pumpkin seeds, I kid you not, was my freshman year in college.  After carving a pumpkin with my roommate she suggested we try roasting the seeds with our microwave (we did not have an oven and were not allowed a toaster oven).  Although it didn't get the full roasting effect, they were still delicious and it was hard not to eat them all in one sitting.  From then on I was hooked.
Almost every year since I make a point to carve at least one pumpkin for the seeds.  And this is how I do it!

First, I gut the pumpkin and get all the seeds, and goo, in a bowl.  After that's done, I add cold water to the bowl.
At this point, most of the seeds had been removed.
I get a baking sheet pan and add oil on top and then spread it out.  Once that's done, I start fishing the seeds out of the bowl.  The cold water really helps to separate the seeds and the goo.  Once all the seeds are on the baking sheet I add some seasoning.  I really like seasoned salt.  Then, I put the seeds in the oven at 325 degrees and let them sit for about 10-20 minutes.  I suggest stirring them every 10 minutes to keep them from burning.

I personally like my seeds a little softer so I don't roast them the full amount of time, however, when you make your own seeds you can choose how long to roast them.

One of the great things about pumpkin seeds is how great they are for you!  They are filled with high amounts of protein and good fat.  Also, because they are a seed and not a nut, they are great for people who are allergic to nuts.  They pack about the same benefits without the allergic reaction.

I encourage everyone to cut into their pumpkins and roast those seeds!  It's a great activity whether your bored at home, having a romantic night in with your love, or having a fun night with your kid.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment